This event records the priviledge King Sancho IV bestowed on the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem when he donated Calasparra Castle and the town on June 9, 1289 “forever” (juro de heredad). The concession was made by the King in the presence of the masters and commanders of the Orders of Alcántara, Santiago, Calatrava, and the Temple) and the King of Granada, vasal of Sancho IV, and the Archbishop of Toledo, the Primate of all Spain..
The celebration of this act began in 1989 on the 700th anniversary of the event.
Every year on June 7,8 and 9, Calasparra travels back to the medieval era to remember those times and events with a wide variety of activities:
- Medieval Artisans´ Market
- Gastronomic Routes
- Medieval Dinner
- Grand Procession with the participation of the different Military Orders, the Christian Kings, the clergy, musicians, guilds and different groups of the era. Dramatic representation of the Act of Donation reenacted by the theatre group “El Molinico”,
- Ceremony of Handing Over the Keys of the Town.