HOUSE OF CULTURE
This building stands in the calle Hiladores and was built in 1930 as a community school, popularly known as New Schools and the College of “Antonio Maya”. It has four sections, two on each floor, a lounge area, library, four offices (one for each teacher) and toilets.The floors were wooden to combat the low winter temperatures and each classrom had a fireplace. It was a school until the final term in 1987.
From December 1989, after being reformed, the new House of Culture has a conference hall and an exhibition space on the ground floor and on the first floor houses the municipal library, an administrative space,a study and a meeting room. The building is surrounded by large gardens and a children´s play area with static toys.
It is one of the modern, accessible buldings used for cultural purposes in the town.
C/ Hiladores, 2
THE CASTLE OPEN AIR THEATRE
This has been catagorized as Bien de Interés Cultural (building of cultural interest) and stands in the open air near the castle. It has a concrete stepped seating area, covered in natural stone, with a capacity of 600, and a semi circular( semicircle) stage area with an extraordinary view of the rice fields and the Segura valley as a backdrop plus a cafetería and changing rooms.
Access is by a garden walk which winds around the hill of San Jose offering the visitor magnificent views of the valley below.
Paraje Cerro de San José
All of the most important cultural events are staged here: Theatre, Dance, Cinema, Concerts, Congresses and Conferences.
Built in 1981 it is on three floors and with an exhibition room and multi-purpose rooms.
Capacity: 287 plazas.
C/ Huerto, s/n
THE BULL RING “LA CAVERINA”
Sitting in the area of the same name this is one of the few bull rings constructed with stone masonery that remain in Spain.
The history of the bull ring "La Caverina" of Calasparra is very interesting in that it was built thanks to the passionate interest of Juan de Amoraga, the son of an important cavalry captain, born in Caravaca de la Cruz and a great Calasparrian landowner. The bull ring was inaugurated in 1896 with a bull fight of young bulls and Juan de Amoraga as one of the protagonists..
The bull ring has always been private property. It has had four owners up until the present day, and is currently owned by the Caballero brothers.
The bull ring has a capacity of 4227 with 40 centímetres for each seat. It has magnificant corrals, totally enclosed for unloading the animals, and has ample and secure bull pens as well as a good patio for the horses and a medical centre.
The new bull ring meant that bull running through the streets, which had been the tradition since 1608, was gradually substituted for bull fights in the bull ring.
C/ Ordoñez, s/n
CINE ROSALES AUDITORIUM
This open air cultural centre has the infrastructure necessary for the organisation of concerts, theatre and other cultural activities of every kind.
In the summer it hosts the cinema.
Some of the most important artists of our time have trodden this stage.
Pza. Emilio Pérez Piñero, s/n
Tel: 968 720 044